How overwhelmed are you feeling in your business right now? Is your to-do list a mile long? Filled with parenting duties, work duties, and just life things that need to take priority? Then may I suggest a fun productivity hack for small business owners that I discovered a few years ago – carving out time to get ahead.
The first working weekend I took for myself was in late 2019. I was in the middle of growing and launching my online presence and I needed some dedicated time for BIG projects. I didn’t want the distractions of home. And quite frankly, I didn’t want mom guilt either.
You know that guilt that creeps over us when our kids see us working from home. Yea, that.
That first weekend I was astonished with how much I could get done in a 2-day sprint and, from that point on, I was hooked and promised myself that I would carve out the time at least once a year.
Now, I like to check myself into a nearby hotel, but you can also accomplish carving out time by kicking your family out on an outing or booking some time at the local library or co-working space. That way you can still be home for dinner and bedtime – find what works for you and your family so you’ll be able to plow through tasks without worrying about other things.
A few weeks ago was my annual planning/working weekend and I checked myself into a hotel 2 miles from my house and Holy Cow, I am on FIRE for 2024. Just look at the list of what I did over the weekend:
- Watched 4 training videos from my coach
- Planned out 3 new freebies
- Planned 3 new offers
- Worked out 💪
- Scheduled ALL of my 2024 launches 😱
- Drafted MONTHS of content ideas
- Voxered with my business bestie (👋 Colie James)
- Read my book
- Organized my calendar 📅
- Walked to Starbucks twice
- Started using a new planning platform for content (👋Asana)
- Sent my VA some new projects
- Took lots and LOTS of notes
- Reached out to a web designer, copywriter and graphic designer for future support on projects
- Got overwhelmed (then cycled out of it and carried on)🔥
- Started building landing pages for new stuff
- Started writing email sequences for that new stuff
- And wrote this blog post 😉
It sounds like a lot, right? And honestly it is.
That’s the beauty of a working weekend.
If you have never given yourself this time away before, I cannot recommend it enough. Your productivity will sky rocket. Your vision will be more clear. Which in turn gives you a solid jump start on crushing your goals.
To hear more about this productivity hack, check out the podcast interview I did with my biz bestie, Colie James. You can listen to that episode here. And then, let me know below when you’re planning on scheduling a working weekend for you and your business?